REMEMBER: This is the ULTIMATE Guide to IRIS+ Quadcopter! Photos, Videos and User Feedback INCLUDED! These Tips Helped Over 2,000 Readers!
The IRIS+ is one of the most highly touted quadcopters on the market. This model is not meant for the casual flyer due to its higher price, but its sleek design and amazing specs make it a must-have for enthusiasts. Created by 3D Robotics, this copter is one of the most advanced models you’ll see this year.
So, what makes IRIS so special? Let’s dig our heels in the ground and find out. You’ll be surprised by what you see.
- 16 – 22 minute flight time
- Payload of .8 pounds
- Directional awareness arms
- On-screen telemetry
- Follow me technology
- Mission planning
- Flight protection
- 915 or 433 MHz options
Digging into the Features
All of the specs don’t matter if you don’t know what this copter offers, right? Well, let’s dig a little deeper and break down the features for you so that you can see why so many people are jumping at the chance to own IRIS.
The overall flight time is very important. If you’re using this product professionally, you’ll want to be able to fly as long as possible on a single charge. IRIS features a 16 – 22 minute flight time. The difference in the time will be:
- Weather conditions. Heavy winds require more stabilization and will drain the battery faster.
- Payload weight. If you reach the maximum payload, you can expect to have a shorter battery life than a lighter payload.
- Flying habits. If you’re hovering, you’ll be able to fly longer than if your moving at full speed.
Replacement batteries are the best option if you need to fly longer than this time limit. Thankfully, you can map out your flight beforehand to be able to take all of your desired shots and still have time left over to have some fun.
Want to let your hands go and let your copter fly itself? 3DR is famous for their autopilot technology. Users can literally draw their route on the tablet-based software provided, and IRIS does the rest. It will soar through the air and keep the camera steady utilizing the 2-axis gimbal that is present.
3PV Follow Me
Don’t have your own personal camera crew? Neither do I. IRIS makes it easy for you to have a camera crew follow you at all times thanks to the 3PV Follow Me functionality.
What this does is allow you to setup your Android device so that GPS is enabled. Once this is done, you can set IRIS to follow you, or the device in this case.
Check Out: Meet ZANO: A Tiny Nano Drone for Selfies
Working with auto detection, the camera will be centered on you and the system will automatically adjust the gimbal as needed; this results in crisp, clear pictures or video.
Android-enabled devices allow you to download the DroidPlanner app and plan your flights right on your tablet or phone. What will happens is that you’ll draw your path and use waypoints to map out your destination.
Using a region of interest, you can even have the drone focus its’ camera on one location and always focus the camera no matter where your waypoint is. Let’s explain a bit further.
- The region of interest is in the middle of the field.
- You set the camera to go from the top of the field to the bottom.
Ultimately, you’ll be seeing a frontal view that gets closer and a back view that shows the shot panning out. You can also create 360 degree shots to ensure the entire scene is taken.
This is an amazing feature, and one that allows you to explore endless possibilities.
Novice flyers rejoice. This is an expensive drone, and crashing it sure isn’t on your bucket list. The makers know that flight protection is within everyone’s best interest.
You’ll be amazed that the built in flight protection is so precise. In fact, IRIS will:
- Automatically land itself so that you don’t crash.
- Fly back to a home point if:
- The battery is running low.
- You’ve flown out of range.
If you’ve ever flown before, you know that once you go out of range, you’re running towards your drone in hopes that it doesn’t crash. You’ll never need to worry about this with IRIS as it takes all of the hard work out of the equation.
If there was one safety feature I truly loved about this drone, this would be it.
You’ll find that there are a variety of options to choose from when buying IRIS. The following items are included in the base price:
- IRIS: Ready-to-fly. Some quick assembly is needed, but you’ll be able to fly within minutes.
- Battery and Charger: Both the battery and a charger are included so that you never need to go out and buy another item before flying.
- Controller: The IRIS controller is included as well as the ground station.
- Tall Legs: Four legs are included.
- Tool Kit: The items needed for assembly and maintenance purposes.
Extras You Can Buy
There are a lot of extras that you can buy to further enhance your drone. A few of these are:
A wireless frequency that will talk to the aircraft during flight. This allows you to watch video right on a wireless monitor that is attached to your controller.
Want to use IRIS mainly for stabilization? The stabilization system will allow you to ensure video is stable at all times. This system uses the Tarot T-2D gimbal. All you need to do is mount the gimbal, and it is already configured to provide the utmost in stabilization at all times.
You can purchase a GoPro camera during purchase. If you have one already, you can connect it yourself.
You’ll also have the option to buy numerous other extras that are common. For instance, you can buy extra batteries, legs and arms, or propellers.
IRIS+ is said to be one of the best quadcopter units on the market. From our experience, IRIS works very well and produces unsurpassed stabilization at all times.
- 3DPalooza – 3D Robotics Shows Us the Iris+ Quadcopter – on YouTube.com
- 3D Robotics IRIS+ Drone: This Consumer Drone With Hands Free Features May Be The Easiest You’ve Ever Flown – on IDigitalTimes.com
- Anyone Check Out 3D Robotics Iris+ ? – on RCGroups.com
- RFTC: 3D Robotics Introduces the Iris+ Quadcopter at Las Vegas FlySafe 2014 – on YouTube.com
- The DJI Inspire 1 Is That Super Awesome Drone