DJI LightBridge is a high definition digital video downlink with powerful technology and an incredibly impressive performance.
Capable of transmitting 1080p video at a rate of 30fps, it is one of the most sophisticated downlink solutions available today.
For professional aerial photographers, cinematographers or serious hobbyists, the DJI LightBridge is a must-have.
DJI LightBridge Features
- HDMI and USB outputs
- Dual remote inputs for the aircraft and for gimbal
- Professional aerial photography or cinematography functionality
- FPV flying capabilities
- Master-slave mode
- Encrypted signals for improved security
LightBridge packs powerful technology into a small, lightweight solution that can be used just about anywhere.
This is the first 2.4GHz digital video downlink offered by DJI in full HD. But in order to use it, you’ll need a multirotor flight controller, such as Naza-M V2, A2, Phantom 2 and WooKong-M.
The downlink features both HDMI and USB outputs for use with HD televisions or Android and iOS devices. Dual remote inputs are also included for the gimbal and aircraft.
This allows for both camerawork and pilot monitoring with just one convenient system. The digital transmitter is capable of transmitting full 1080p HD video for an incredible distance of up to 3.1 miles.
LightBridge uses 2.4G RF technology and features an omnidirectional antenna with a transmission range of 1.05 miles.
The optional antenna allows for the maximum transmission distance of 3.1 miles. Because the signal is digital, it’s far less vulnerable to interference than analog sources.
Professional Aerial or FPV Solution
The LightBridge allows for professional aerial photo and video creation as well as FPV flying.
For aerial photos and videos, the downlink is compatible with:
- A2 or WooKong-M flight controls
- S1000 or S800 EVO flying platforms
- Zenmuse Z15-BMPCC, Z15-GH3 or Z15-5D gimbal systems
For FPV flying, the downlink is compatible with:
- Naza-M V2 flight controller
- Phantom 2 or Flame Wheel F450/F550 flying platforms
- Zenmuse H3-3D or Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal system
LightBridge’s unique Master-Slave mode allows for one system to control the signals and receive video, while the others only receive video. This allows one aircraft to send a signal to multiple ground systems and transmit video to multiple screens.
You can connect up to 8 downlinks, and each one can work independently without any interference providing there’s adequate distance between each one.
The air system attaches to your drone and comes with five ports:
- HDMI input – HDMI Type D input to connect directly to your GoPro HDMI output.
- AV input – Connect a camera to the AV input when the HDMI port is not in use.
- USB upgrade port – Connect to a computer or mobile device.
- D.BUS port – Connect to your drone’s flight controller.
- Gimbal port – Connects to DJI accessories and gimbals.
The LightBridge ground system comes with a built-in battery, so there’s no need for an external power source.
Simply turn on the system and it will automatically connect with your HD Monitor or mobile device. You also have the option of connecting your RC transmitter to the ground system to extend its range.
In addition to the battery charger input, there are four ports included with the ground system:
- Control port – Connects to an RC transmitter
- USB upgrade port – Connects to a computer
- HDMI output – Connects to a 1080p HD monitor
- USB port – Connects to a mobile device
Each transmitter features an aluminum alloy casing with external and internal shielding. This is what prevents interference and allows LightBridge to transmit high quality HD video continuously. Both PAL25 and NTSC30 AV formats are supported, so the downlink system can be used by anyone, anywhere.
LightBridge’s ground unit has an impressive battery life. The 4000 mAh battery offers 4.5 hours of use with just one single charge. The 1.5 hour recharge time is surprisingly quick. If you carry a spare battery, you can enjoy 9 continuous hours of use.
A USB charger port is included that allows you to charge mobile devices, and a USB 2.0 image data output is also included for Android and iOS devices.
One of the biggest concerns that users may have is security. This device uses encryption for added security. Only authorized devices can receive data from the system when encryption is enabled. This feature can be set up through the LightBridge app.
iOSD Screen Flight Data Display
When using an iOS device, essential flight data can be displayed right on your smartphone or tablet. The following flight data is displayed:
- GPS strength
- Flight mode
- Video signal strength
- Power levels
- Controller signal strength
- Height and distance
- Horizontal and vertical speed
- Altitude or relative position
Awesome Video Review by YouTube User
What Others Are Saying
The DJI LightBridge is a brand new product, but there’s already been quite a bit of buzz about it. For professionals, this system takes aerial photography to a whole new level. With a price tag of approximately $1,300, this is not a system for beginners or amateurs.
However, if you’re serious about aerial photographer or videography, this is the absolute best video control system available for drones.
LightBridge’s ability to transmit full 1080p HD at a distance of up to 3.1 miles is impressive, and the extended battery life of the ground system allows you to shoot the footage you need without worrying about changing batteries or recharging.
Along with the LightBridge system, you will receive a detailed instruction manual that tells you everything you need to know about operating this sophisticated downlink system.
As mentioned in the manual, it is most compatible with the WKM, DJI NAZA, V2 and A2 flight control systems.
It can be said that this one is a game changer. With an advanced digital signal, interference is all but eliminated and the HD video transmission capabilities put it well ahead of its competitors.
If you’re in need of a professional, high-end video control system for your drone, this one is as good as it gets. Providing you have the budget, this one system will take your aerial footage to a whole new level.
- DJI LightBridge – Long Range HD video transmitter on Cinema5D.com
- DJI – How to install DJI Lightbridge on Phantom 2 – on YouTube.com
- DJI LightBridge 2.4G Full HD digital video downlink **Owners Thread** – on RCGroups.com
- I finally had time to install DJI Lightbridge – on SkyPixel.org
- OMG: Video of DJI Phantom 2 Attacked by Police Helicopter